Sunday, November 7, 2010

Something to celebrate

   As you're enrolling in medical insurance this month, here's something interesting you may want to celebrate. While insurance rates continue to climb and employers continue to push more back on employees, those women who've suffered with breast cancer do indeed have something to celebrate!
  Believe it or not, it was 12 years ago when the federal government passed the Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act (1998). It requires group health plans to offer mastectomy patients benefits for:
  •     All stages of reconstruction of the breast on which the mastectomy was performed;
  •     Surgery and reconstruction of the other breast to produce a symmetrical appearance;
  •     Prostheses; and
  •     Treatment of physical complications of the mastectomy, including lymphedema.
   I can tell you that I faced each of these situations and I'm incredibly thankful for the passage of this act. Without it, I'd be deformed the rest of my life. With it, I have the ability to return to a sense of normalcy.
   Just one thing we women can all be thankful for!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment