Friday, May 27, 2011

Capping off graduation

   A big sigh of relief.
   My daughter graduated college in mid-May back East. The trip required the lengthy flight, followed by swelling of my arm and hand, packing up 19 cartons and shipping them back to Cali by mail, loading up the car with the essential items (snowboard, saddle, boots, electric guitar & amp) and shipping it via auto trailer. (I'd pay the price upon return home with extra visits to the lymphedema therapist.)
   And then finally, graduation.
   My daughter, who has always had a need to be different, decided she'd decorate her cap for the outdoor graduation on the campus front lawn. To my surprise, when we went to Michaels to get the necessary supplies, she immediately gravitated toward pink rhinestones and a pink glittery breast cancer ribbon. Nothing else even occurred to her.
   I couldn't have been prouder. I have to admit I was a little nervous about whether the school actually would allow the decorating of caps, but she didn't care. "Mom, I can't imagine they wouldn't let me walk just because I put this on my cap. After all, I'm doing this for my Mom!"
   And sure enough, she walked, graduating summa cum laude (much to our surprise and hers!), and standing out amongst the sea of graduates in a glittery cap and gown.


Wow! A mom who has survived breast cancer couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment